Monday, February 21, 2011

Teachers

Teachers hold a very near and dear place in my heart.  Both of my parents are teachers and I could not be more proud!  My mom was a stay at home mom for 17 years when she had me and my two younger sisters.  She went back my senior year in high school because my dad decided to quit his job and go back to his true passion teaching.  Obviously a family of 5 couldn't live on a teachers salary for very long so my mom decided she would go back to work.  Her first year back she taught next to the middle school my dad taught at so they car pooled.  I loved this because I got to use my moms car and drive to school.  A couple years later a 3rd grade position opened up at a school less than a mile from their house.  She got the job and could walk to work if she wanted.  {This makes me so jealous!  Traffic lately has been awful.}

Both of my parents are so hard working and dedicated towards educating the Future Leaders, Teachers, Superstars, Executives that it makes me smile to tell you...my mom won Teacher of the Year at her school for 3rd grade!  It was a unanimous vote.  She texted me this cute picture I had to share with you!


Not to leave my dad out :)  He will retire in a couple years and wants to run for the school board.  In the county my parents teach in there is not ONE ex-teacher on the board.  This makes my dad livid to say the very least!  He also has aspirations of creating a documentary with MAG on vocational schooling for those students who aren't on their college prep path.  He teaches ESOL students {and has for 8 years} and a extremely small percentage have gone on to college.  He and MAG feel that there should be another option for them.  This is a passion project for my dad.  I can't wait until we have some extra money in the next few years to start putting together this documentary.
post signature

1 comment:

Alisha said...

Congrats to you Mom!! And teachers definitely deserve more than what they get paid. They put up with, help motivate, and strive to teach and give kids the best education possible. Now, that's a REAL job! ;)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Hope you are having a beautiful day!