Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Perspective

Yesterday was interesting for me.  I spent the entire day upset about my phone.  Yes, it is silly, but I really love having this little luxury.  Last night while MAG was cooking dinner I decided to catch up on some Oprah episodes.  I watched the Military show that was on Thursday of last week.  At first I didn't know if I wanted to watch such an sad/intense topic but for whatever reason I did.  All I can say is WOW! I feel like such a spoiled brat on so many levels.  The show started out by talking to Cory Breist from South Dakota.  You can watch his story below.
About half way through I looked at MAG and busted into tears.  I just spent the day feeling sorry for myself about my stupid phone and here is a soldier who gave his life to serve our country, was hit by a bomb and is now blind, learning how to speak again and has to go to physical therapy 3 times per week.  After watching this 2 minute segment my perspective towards life changed. I need to be more conscience about how lucky/thankful/blessed I am to live the life that I have.  

In a few weeks my sister, Kristie, bf is going to Afghanistan.  He is a Marine and will be going to one of the most dangerous areas of the country.  This is his first tour.  He joined the Marines because he didn't have a clear path in college and didn't want to go just to go.  He wanted to grow up and figured the military would be the best place for him to do that.  Please keep my sister in your thoughts and prayers.  As of now he will be back in September, but as we all know tours can/are always extended.  


MAG and I are looking for a way to help military families or soldiers.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.
post signature

4 comments:

Jax said...

Sending many prayers for his continued safety! Please keep us updated. As for ways to help...maybe a letter program? There are probably some you could connect to. Or the wounded warrior program.. Not sure much about that, but have read about it.. ??

Alisha said...

Wow! What a touching story. I would've been in tears too. If I were the wife, I would be mad at the friends who walked away and mad about the war. It's hard to see some people go through such difficult circumstances like this. She has such a sweet spirit. :( Prayers for that family…
Thanks for sharing!

Britt said...

Thank you ladies! I have been researching different ways to give. I will keep you posted on what I find.

Anonymous said...

operation gratitude is in the san fernando valley..i volunteer with them a lot doing care packages. my aunt also co hosts an event at the va hospital by ucla every december serving meals to homeless vets..ill let you know when that comes up agin..let me know if you end up doing op gratiture well try to coordinate days!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Hope you are having a beautiful day!