Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Being Grateful

Grateful

Yesterday I found out some sad news about a high school classmate.  We weren't friends, he actually teased me throughout Latin class most days, but I still knew him.  He has been diagnosis with ALS.  He is 28 and has been struggling with it for about a year.  Yesterday, through a FB group, his wife updated everyone saying he can barely use his hands.  In that moment my heart broke. If you watch Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta you might have seen his now wife on this past Friday nights episode.  You can read more about their story here.

In a world filled with materialism and always wanting more this makes me step back and take a look at my own life.  I am beyond blessed and totally take my life for granted.  Some days I hate the way materialism takes over me.  I don't need to compete or have the best of everything.  I have absolutely everything I need.  Everyday Marco wakes up and it extremely grateful for his life, health and me.  He lives a balanced and grounded life {a little cynical, yes but that's because of Hollywood}.  I think I need him to rub off on me a little more.

Today I ask you to be thankful for what you have and who you have in your life.  The material things don't last, but the relationships you build last a lifetime.  More energy should be put into people and experiences than the newest shoes or bag.

I need to listen to my own advice.

post signature

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It really does put things in perspective, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing this story, and your friend and his wife will be in my prayers :)

xoxo,
Joelle

Ashley said...

Such a touching story!!! I pray that his disease slows down, so that he is able to enjoy the joys in life!! The message is very true!!! Thanks for sharing!

J and A said...

I totally watched it! And they gave her the dress! Thanks for sharing. :)

Whitney said...

Such an eye opening moment!

I try to take each day as a blessing, but I'll be the first to admit that some days are harder than the others...thank you for sharing.

Stephanie said...

I feel for him and his wife. My grandpa was diagnosed with ALS in his early 50s. It was horrible to watch. Good reminder about what really matters.

justagirlLaura said...

Oh man, this is such sad news. I'm not part of that FB group, but I'm very sad to hear the update about Steve. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for what I have!

Unknown said...

Wow. This is a good "grounding" post to invite your readers to stop and reflect. Take a moment and find contentment. Have you read Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis. She illustrates this sentiment in the most selfless of ways (as a 21 year old mother of 14 adopted children living in Uganda).

Ashley Slater said...

so true! I just read on another blog a story of a woman with ALS......she was diagnosed when she was pregnant and it has progressed now and she has a caretaker and watches someone else raise her son. It is just so heartbreaking :( and it really reminds me of how quickly something like that can happen and how we should never take a second of a day for granted! great post!

Anonymous said...

Wow...so true that there are so many more important things in life...

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Hope you are having a beautiful day!